What happens when my client decides to choose feeling “engaged” with her life versus “comfortable.”
In my coaching sessions, a client will often give me a laundry list of reasons for why they aren’t taking care of themselves and their bodies the way they say they want to.
I always listen before I interrupt and derail their thought train because I’m looking for clues and I know I’ll get them. Hell, they’re not even “clues” — they’re outright admissions that help me help them see what’s really going on.
I don’t see it as pointing a finger at their negativity — no way. I think what we’re doing is mining for gold. The “gold” I find comes in the form of the language a woman uses when she’s offering me her inner narrative.
This language is formed by her thoughts, and my job is to ask her if those thoughts are serving her. Are they getting her where she wants to be? Are they born of love and positive self-regard or is she tearing herself down?
Here are a few examples of that “mined (mind – ha!) gold” from my current beautiful, smart, determined, on-fire roster of current clients. These women are kicking ass and working to create the best lives possible for themselves:
- “I just want comfort and convenience.”
- “I don’t have a choice.”
- “Why don’t I make shit happen?”
- “I just have an inability to take care of myself the way I want to.”
- “I’ve quit other bad habits, so why can’t I get rid of sugar / carbs / bread / french fries and manage myself better?”
And what happens next is that we take a long, hard, loving look at what they are telling themselves. We examine the thoughts she has and the language she uses and discuss the results she’s getting in her life connected to those. Are those thoughts serving her?
If she keeps having these thoughts and acting on them over and over, I often ask: “What’s the payoff?” What is she getting out of living in this cage she has created?
When she begins to consider those questions, she comes to understand herself and will create a shift that opens the door to a whole new life. If she wants it. Those bullet points listed above become something like this:
- “I want to be engaged with my life, and that is not always comfortable or convenient. And maybe that’s not such a bad thing.
- “I always have a choice. Not making a choice is still a choice.”
- “How can I make shit happen?”
- “I am willing and able to take care of myself the way I want to. I’m the captain now. ; ) “
- “I will have a lifelong relationship with food and my body. I need it and it nourishes me. I didn’t need nicotine or alcohol. I can create a relationship with food that’s that’s connected to power, living, thriving and celebrating. Food — even the foods I think I need to “ban” myself from — isn’t going away. And that’s good news.”
The result? One of my lovelies said it perfectly in that snapshot of her journal she sent to me the other day: “RADICAL SELF CARE FOR THE WIN.”
That shit is gold.
Want to go mining for gold?
If you recognized yourself in any of those “mined” thoughts above and want break free from them so you can create a new lifestyle and relationship with you body, I’ve still got room to take on a handful of 1:1 clients this quarter.
I have six and twelve week coaching programs designed to help you do just that.
The work is powerful, pivotal and you will not move forward unchanged as a result. I can promise you that.
I have really hit my professional stride with my work and my services are in demand because so many women want access to the freedom, pride and happiness that comes with loving and taking exceptional care of their bodies. It changes their lives.
The first quarter of 2016 will be over in March, and that will also mean the end of my current coaching rates as they are now.
I create an individualized, high-touch, couture coaching experience for my clients and my new rates will reflect that level of mastery and service.
If you’ve been on the fence about working with me 1:1 this year and can make my current rates and payment plans fit your budget, take advantage of them before they’re gone. You are worthy of your own attention and a life and body that you truly love.
Click here to find out more about working with me as your coach.